Thai Noodle Soup or Kwitiaow Nam in Thai is a dish that is served all over Thailand - in the city, the countryside, at restaurants and street corners and especially by the floating market vendors on rivers and canals.
This dish is Chinese influenced and is consistently consumed throughout the day - for breakfast, for mid-morning snack, for lunch, mid-afternoon snack and although not as much for dinners, is also consumed for supper as a before bedtime snack since it is not considered a "heavy" meal.
You can order Kwitiaow Nam with the ingredients to your liking from the hawker stalls or any of the places selling it.
Any kind of meat like prawns, chicken, livers or even left over meat that you can find in your fridge can be used but it seems like mince pork and fish balls are my family's favorites.
So, you can see, it is really quite a versatile dish.
The flavor of this dish is normally enhanced by quality of the soup stock and the various seasoning mixture - according to your taste.
Noodle Soup Thai Recipe:
From The Thai Kitchen:
* Mixing Bowl
* Pots * 2
* 1kg fresh rice noodles
* 300g fresh bean shoots
* 1 packet fish balls
Minced Pork Mixture:
* 450g minced pork
* 100g water-chestnuts (diced)
* 2 spring onions (sliced)
* 1 coriander (sliced)
* 2 tbs fish sauce
* 1 tbs light soya sauce
* 1 tsp white pepper
* 1 tbs garlic in oil
* 1 tbs oyster sauce
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
* 1 coriander (thinly sliced)
1. Prepare stock base by boiling about 4 litres of chicken broth in a pot
2. Prepare the minced pork by placing all the pork mixture and the seasoning ingredients into a mixing bowl
3. Mix well
4. Using your finger tips, drop a small amount of the pork mixture into your chicken stock to cook.
5. Add the fish balls into the stock
6. Peel and separate the noodles
7. Place a desired amount of noodles in a soup bowl
8. Warm your noodles by either placing it in the microwave or blanching it quickly in a pot of hot water
9. Spoon stock over the noodles making sure you get a sufficient amount of pork mixture and fish balls
10. Add the bean shoots
11. Serve accompanied by fish sauce, light soya sauce, white pepper, fried garlic in oil - to taste.
12. To complete, garnish with chopped spring onions and coriander and enjoy!