Massaman Curry To Go With That Turmeric Rice!
Massaman Curry with Osso Bucco is a dish influenced by Indian and Muslim community of Southern Thailand.
Meat like beef or chicken is usually used together with potatoes, roasted peanuts and coconut milk in in this dish where you will also find herbs and spices like dried red chilli, lemongrass, garlic, shallots, galangal, shrimp paste, coriander seed, cumin, kaffir lime leaves, mace, cardamon and cinnamon being used.
Because this dish uses such strong spices, you will find that lamb and goat goes very well with this dish too.
I have used osso bucco for this recipe below.
Massaman Curry Thai Recipe
From The Thai Kitchen:
* Chopping Board
* 1 kg Osso Bucco (chopped)
* 1 large brown onion
* 4-6 tbs massaman curry paste
* 1 * 400ml can coconut milk
* 200mls water
* 500g potatoes
* 150g peanuts
* 2 large french shallots (quartered)
* 2 pieces cassia bark or stick
* 40-45g palm sugar
* 3 tsp fish sauce
* 3 tsp light soy sauce
1. In a wok, heat oil on high heat to fry onions until golden and fragrant
2. Add osso bucco and cook to seal the meat
3. Turn heat off and leave aside
4. In a saucepan, fry the curry paste in 2 tablespoon of coconut milk
5. Add the now 'sealed meat' into the curry paste
6. Putting aside 100ml, add the rest of the coconut milk, 200ml of water and the cassia bark into the saucepan
7. Bring it to a boil before reducing the heat to a gentle simmer
8. After approx 45 minutes of cooking, add in the peanuts, potatoes and the quartered shallots
9. The cooking process will take about one and a half to one and three quarters of an hour before meat is cooked and tender
10 Add the seasoning ingredients at the end of the cooking time
11 Lastly, add the 100ml of the coconut milk
12 Mix well before turning off the heat
13 Serve hot
Massaman Curry back to Thai Recipes