Gai Tod Hatyai Southern Style Fried Chicken is an inspired dish of Thai food from my recent trip back to my hometown in Southern ThailandThai Food Lovers
Gai Tod Hatyai Southern Style Fried Chicken Thai food is probably better known as my Hatyai inspired Thai style deep fried chicken. This is one Thai food that you cannot miss eating when you are next in Hatyai, the Southern most city in Thailand,
This dish is more greatly influenced from the Muslim community in Thailand so it is not surprising to see that most of the street sellers peddling this dish are women from that community.
Gai Tod Hatyai Southern Style Fried Chicken is best served with sticky rice or tumeric rice. Most Thais will buy this to go for a picnic on the weekend. It is usually wrapped in papers complemented by a serving of the sauce. You should select the pieces and have it as it is or you can ask the vendor to chop the chicken pieces to your liking.
Don't fret, you will find this being sold at almost every corner in the town center.
Give this recipe a go and your family and friends will love you for it!
From The Thai Kitchen:
* Mixing Bowl
* Mortar and Pestle
* Paper Towel
* 1.2kg fresh chicken
* cooking oil for deep frying
* rice flour
* 2 pinch salt
* 1 tbs oyster sauce
* 1 tbs light soy
* 1 tbs fish sauce
* 1-1.5 tbs sugar
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1 tsp white pepper
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 1/4 tsp tumeric
1. Chop chicken into desired good size pieces
2. Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels
3. Mix the chicken pieces with the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl
4. Leave the chicken to marinate for at least a couple of hours
5. Meanwhile, mix the rice flour and breadcrumbs ('the mixture')
6. Take 'the mixture' a handful at a time and mix into the marinated chicken pieces until the chicken is fully covered with 'the mixture'
7. Add enough cooking oil into the wok at high heat
8. Cook the chicken pieces in batches to ensure even cooking
9. When chicken is cooked and golden brown, drain chicken on paper towels
10 Serve Gai Tod Hatyai Southern Style Fried Chicken pieces with sticky rice or tumeric rice and enjoy!
Back to Thai Recipes