Larb Gai is a Thai minced chicken salad dish that we like to take with our drinks.
It is taken as entree in Western countries.
In Thailand however, this dish is usually taken as a side dish outside meal times
In the evening, after office hours, workers will go to Country Restaurants, like how we go to the pubs.
Cooling themselves down with the wind blowing in their face, they will order dishes like this healthy Thai Salad, Gai Yang, Som Tum or even Tom Yum Soup to go with their cold drinks
You will also find it very popularly served at nightclubs in Thailand seeing how it goes so perfectly with drinks
Larb Gai Thai Recipe:
From The Thai Kitchen:
* Mixing Bowl
* Mortar and Pestle
* 2 med-large chicken maryland fillets (minced)
* 2-3 spring onions (chopped)
* 3-4 fresh coriander (chopped)
* 2-3 fresh shallots (sliced)
* 1-2 sprigs fresh mint leaves
* 1 tsp ground dried chillies
* 1/2 tsp galangal powder (optional)
* 2 tbs rice (toasted and ground)
Seasoning Ingredients to taste:
* fish sauce
* light soy sauce
* lemon juice
* NB: Mix seasoning ingredients in a bowl and start off with 1.5 tsp of sugar, then balance the flavoring by adding the rest to your taste.
* iceberg lettuce
* fresh coriander
* Thai Basil
1. Prepare the ingredients
2. Heat up the saucepan with 2 tbs of water and cook the minced chicken
3. Remove saucepan from heat and add seasoning ingredients
4. Continue by adding shallots, spring onions, coriander, chillies, galangal powder and fresh mint
5. Test, taste and adjust flavoring to your liking, making sure you have the 4 's' of sweet, sour, salty and spicy blended correctly
6. Pound and grind the roasted rice using the mortar and pestle before adding it
7. Garnish with coriander, mint leaves etc
8. Serve with the "Greens Accompaniment" of your choice
Insider Secret Tips:
The seasoning is what makes this dish so good - practice to get your seasoning right.