Fried rice, also known as Khao Pad in Thailand can be a really easy meal to whip up if you know how!
If there is nothing in your kitchen except for some left over rice with a bit of chicken - you got a dish already! In fact, you will find that overnight rice is preferred to freshly cooked rice for this dish. If using freshly cooked rice, make sure you cooled the rice before using.
The good thing about Khao Pad is that you can add whatever meat you have or whatever vegetables you have available and it does not matter if they are fresh or left overs. Yes, it is definitely a one 'wok' dish.
So, how is it Thai Styled?
Well, again the difference between other cuisine and Thai styled Khao Pad is in the blending of the flavors and the clever use of Thai sauces that makes the distinction. You will find the Thais using lemons, fish sauce and sugar as the main ingredients in this dish.
Khao Pad Gai Thai Recipe:
From The Thai Kitchen:
* Mixing Bowl
* Rice cooker
* 1 chicken maryland fillets (sliced)
* 2 tbs cooking oil
* 1 clove garlic (crushed)
* 1 large egg
* 1 large french shallot (sliced)
* 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
* 1 tsp sugar
* 3 tsp fish sauce
* 2-3 tsp light soy sauce
* wedge of lemon
* spring onions (chopped)
* cucumbers (sliced)
* chillies (thinly sliced)
1. Heat oil on a medium to hot wok
2. Throw in garlic and shallots till golden brown and fragrant
3. Add chicken
4. Add egg when chicken is nearly cooked
5. Add rice and "Seasoning Ingredients"
6. Taste and adjust flavorings if necessary
7. Serve on a plate
8. Garnish with spring onions, cucumbers and chillies
Thai Food Lovers